10 Things To Remember When You Buy Modern Lamps And Lights
Figuring out the right kind and amount of lights needed for your home can be a major decision in your home décor. The decision can either make or ruin your entire style and the effect the space projects. So, what are the things to look for when you buy some modern lamps and lights for a home or office space?
- Decide the where: the first item on the agenda is to decide where you want the lights. What areas will require special lighting, which areas should have more diffused brightness, which areas need focused attention? Asking and answering these questions is the first task.
- Decide the why: part of buying the right lighting is to decide the task that each lamp is intended to help. Choose a focused task light for concentrated jobs like reading or cutting. Track lighting is fine for a sitting room, whereas spot lighting and accent lamps help to bring out interesting décor.
- Decide which style the room needs: while a stylized modern lamp or a glitzy chandelier might be just right for your living room, the kids' room is probably better off with a lamp in animal shapes. Paper lamp shades work great for interiors, while modern lanterns and metal work looks better outside.
- Design specific lighting for special-needs areas: the kitchen for example, will need more task oriented focused lighting, especially around the counter top areas or the stove / grill area. Your study would look and function better with modern desk lamps, and living rooms will require a combination of lighting styles.
- Use mood lighting: set the mood with warm lighted corners, especially in your living room. You can achieve this effect by the judicious use of LED lamps, fireplaces, candles or other ambient / dynamic sources of light. Look around at your furniture, furnishings, and overall scheme of décor, and choose a lamp or fixture that looks good in setting the mood you have in mind.
- Coordinate: make sure the fixtures and modern lamps that you use go with everything else, in the rest of the room, not just in style, but also in color.
- Choose easy to clean lamps / fixtures: although most modern lighting emphasizes simplicity of design, some can be quite complicated and difficult to clean on a regular basis. Make life easier for yourself, pick something with simpler lines, that will be easy to clean in the long run.
- Try energy efficient styles: "go green." Use energy efficient fluorescent lighting in all possible areas, except it demands something else.
- Avoid glare: make sure the light fixtures or lamps are properly installed to minimize glare and give a nice all round effect of warmth.
- Use portable lighting: floor lamps, etc can be a source of additional light wherever and whenever you may require it.
A little thought, and a little planning. That's all it takes to make your space a haven of peace and a reflection of your sense of style.